We continue our look at the ’8 basic steps of cheese making’ as published on the Cheesemongers weblog in November, and how these steps are carried out at Sirana Gligora on the Island Of Pag in Croatia. Sirana Gligora have been making artisan Paški Sir since 1995 and moved into their newly build modern dairy in January 2010.
The ‘‘8 basic steps to cheese making‘ aimed to give you the knowledge and confidence to deal with your cheese monger. The information was taken from Max McCalam’s latest book, ‘Mastering Cheese’ where he used the work of Dairy Science professor Frank Kosikowski, the founder of the American Cheese Society.
Step 1: Setting the Milk can be viewed by clicking here.
Step 2: Cutting the Curds can be viewed by clicking here.
Step 3: Cooking and Holding can be viewed by clicking here.
Step 4. Dripping & Draining
When the curds have been dried and the Suzie (the master cheese maker) is satisfied with the moisture levels and size of the grain, the curds are transferred to the molds. At Sirana Gligora this is done with a filling machine which takes curds away from the vat and separates the whey at the same time. The Curds go into perforated stainless steel tubes allowing the whey to escape before the curds are fed into the molds.
The Filling Machine will fill 3 molds at a time as they come through the conveyor and you can see below how the cheese is already beginning to take shape as it is cut into the molds.
Step 5 & 6. Knitting and Pressing the Curd
The cheese is now firmly in the molds and on there way to be pressed where the knitting process begins. Sirana Gligora use a sophisticated air pressure system which distributes equal pressure all along the line, ensuring each cheese is pressed under the same amount of pressure.
Paški Sir is pressed for 3 and a half hours to expel any additional whey and ensure the curds are fully knitted. About half way through the pressing process, the cheese is turned in the molds to ensure there are no air holes in the rind, the rind must be completely sealed for the cheese to mature in its proper way.
Next step 7 & 8, Salting and Curing the cheese.
For more information email email@example.com
- Artisan Cheese, the making of Sirana Gligora Paški Sir Step 3.Cooking and holding (paskisir.wordpress.com)
- Artisan cheese, the making of Sirana Gligora Paški Sir 2. All about cutting the curd (paskisir.wordpress.com)
- Artisan Cheese, the making of Sirana Gligora Paški Sir 1. Setting the milk (paskisir.wordpress.com)
- Triple Super Gold at the World Cheese Awards for Sirana Gligora Paški Sir (paskisir.wordpress.com)
- Artisan Cheese, the making of Sirana Gligora Paški Sir (paskisir.wordpress.com)
- Modestly ambitious Appalachian is noteworthy (sfgate.com)