Cooking with Sirana Gligora’s Croatian Cheese
This summer we teamed up with Kristin Vukovic from New York to write a book about the excellent restaurants on our beautiful Island of Pag. The book should be published later in the year and used as a gastro guide for food loving tourists from 2013.
Can we wait that long to share some of the delicious food the we enjoyed in an amazing two weeks of June? Not me anyway, so here we will release the first in a series of the delicious recipes that some of these select restaurants offer with our cheese.
First up is this delicious recipe from Bistro Toni in the beautiful bay of Jakišnica close to Lun. The Bodarina family have a laid back approach and don’t worry too much about marketing their restaurant, so you wont find it anywhere on the internet. Instead they concentrate only on the quality of food that they produce and relax knowing that customers who eat there will always come back again and again. With a view like this who can blame them!
If you want to try this great restaurant yourself while your visiting our island then contact them by email or phone for directions and booking.
tel. 00385 (0)53 668 087/ 00385 (0)915314267
8 large calamari or squid
500g of Sirana Gligora Paški Sir
300g of Dalmatian pršut or smoked ham
chopped broad leaf parsley, to taste
salt and pepper, to taste
3/4 cup of olive oil
3 cloves of garlic
2 small onions
1/2 cup of white wine
pinch of oregano
1. Finely slice some Sirana Gligora Paški Sir and cut the pršut to 1 cm squares.
2. Combine the cheese and ham with the finely chopped onion, garlic and chopped broad leaf parsley, then season with salt and pepper and oregano (optional)
3. In a bowl mix some quality olive oil and dry white wine then add the cheese and ham mixture
4. Cut any fins and tails from the calamari, finely chop and add to the mixture with 1 egg yolk. Mix well.
5. Stuff the mixture into the calamari, drizzle with olive oil and bake in a hot oven until golden yellow.
As a side dish, serve cooked chard and potatoes.
Dobar tek from all at Sirana Gligora and Bistro Toni
- Cooking with Paški Sir and Sirana Gligora’s Croatian Cheese (paskisir.wordpress.com)
- Sirana Gligora’s Paški Sir is back on sale in the US (paskisir.wordpress.com)
- Cheese and Wine Tasting Tours at Sirana Gligora (paskisir.wordpress.com)
- Frittura di Calamari (“Fried” Calamari) (dellacucinapovera.com)
- temperatures rising: simple pan seared calamari with fresh tomato sauce (eatandrelish.com)
- Tuna Stuffed Peppadew Peppers (hiphostessblog.com)
- Roasted Butternut Squash Calzones (theheartyherbivore.com)